Session 3: Do I Belong Here?
Time: Each session is designed to be 45-60 minutes.
Supplies: Notebook, pencil/pen, technology to watch the videos
Key learnings for this session:
- We can all belong and have value.
- Jesus wants to be in relationship with us.
- Jesus invites us into renewed relationship with each other.
- Connection is important.
Observations to highlight:
- In whom did Jesus invest his time?
- What symbols were used as an opportunity or invitation?
- How did the people respond to Jesus when they saw whom he was spending time with?
Opportunities to present:
Where are the spaces in your context that give you the opportunity…?
- To welcome the stranger.
- To listen to other stories without judgment.
- To expand who is welcome and a contributor in your “space.”
- To not underestimate a person’s capacity based on a one-sided experience.
Based on Isaiah 55 (The Message)
Reader: “I don’t think the way you think.
The way you work isn’t the way I work.”
Community: Lord, renew my thinking.
“For as the sky soars high above earth,
so the way I work surpasses the way you work,
and the way I think is beyond the way you think.
Just as rain and snow descend from the skies
and don’t go back until they’ve watered the earth,
Doing their work of making things grow and blossom,
producing seed for farmers and food for the hungry,
So will the words that come out of my mouth
not come back empty-handed.
They’ll do the work I sent them to do,
they’ll complete the assignment I gave them.”
Community: Lord, help me to respond in faith, hope and love to the work that is before me today.
View “Do I Belong Here?” Video Sermonette by Hyacinth Stevens. (Length: 8 minutes – Link)