For more than 65 years, Mennonites have witnessed to the good news of Jesus Christ in Israel and Palestine through Mennonite Mission Network, Eastern Mennonite Missions, Mennonite Central Committee, Christian Peacemaker Teams, our colleges and seminaries and in other ways.
This is a region with much hurt and pain. We long for right relationships and a peace that serves the well-being and flourishing of all, whether Israeli, Palestinian, Jew, Muslim or Christian.
When Mennonites began a presence in this region, a deliberate decision was made not to start Mennonite congregations, but to work with local partners.
Seeking Peace in Israel and Palestine Resolution Adopted by delegates in Orlando, FL on July 6, 2017
- News Story: Mennonites Choose ‘third-way’ on Israel and Palestine
- Introductory Video to Resolution
Resources and Additional Reading
- Introduction and Background
- Opposing Occupation and Seeking a Just Peace
- MCC and Palestine and Israel: Commonly Asked Questions — a brief helpful background to the conflict from Mennonite Central Committee
- Ongoing Work and Digging Deeper:
- Kairos Palestine Study Guide a four-part study guide to the 2009 appeal from Palestinian Christians
- “Jewish and Palestinian Voices for Peace” Speaking Tour — Information about a speaking tour visiting Mennonite communities in April and May 2017.
- Opposing Antisemitism and Seeking Right Relationships with Jewish Communities
- Fighting Antisemitism — A resource prepared by Jewish Voice for Peace about antisemitism and its role in the United States today.
- Ongoing Work and Opportunities to Dig Deeper:
- Bibliography of Resources on Mennonite and Jewish Relations — A new resource to help facilitate further study and dialogue.
- Mennonites and the Holocaust Conference, March 16-17, 2018 — sponsored by Bethel College, Mennonite Church USA and other partners
Kairos Palestine Study Guide
In Oct. 2011, the Executive Board of Mennonite Church USA called on congregations to read and study “Kairos Palestine: A Moment of Truth.” This is an important appeal from Palestinian Christians to us and to the world and one significant voice from the region. The attached study guide in four sessions has been prepared to help congregations and members engage this important document.
“Come and See” Learning Tours
In response to Kairos Palestine, a 2009 appeal by Palestinian Christians, Mennonite Church USA began promoting and expanding opportunities for Mennonite pastors and other leaders to participate in Israel/Palestine learning tours and to “come and see” the current reality (Purposeful Plan, lines 980-984). Our goal was to send one hundred leaders on learning tours in a five year period. Most tours were organized in partnership with area conferences. As of April 2017, one hundred ten leaders from across the church have participated in “Come and See” learning tours to the region, concluding this initiative.
Reports, Reflections and Photos from Learning Tours
- April 2015 Travelogue
- News story about Feb-March 2014 “Come and See” learning tour
- Reflection from Chad Horning, Chief Investment Officer at Everence