The goal of The Corinthian Plan is to provide health care access for as large a group of pastors and church workers in Mennonite Church USA as possible. The name emerges from verses in 2 Corinthians 8 and 9 where the newly emerging church in Corinth is encouraged to practice sharing with each other.
The Corinthian Plan – MC USA Health Coverages
New Corona Covid-19 Information (Updated May 11 ,2020)
Below is updated COVID-19 information for both employers (congregations and conferences) and employees in The Corinthian Plan. This includes new Health Savings Account (HSA) guidelines for eligible medical expenses expanded due to the impact of COVID-19.
Below are links that pertain to specific COVID-19 related information.
- Congregational Employer Plan (CEP) COVID-19 health coverage information
- Updated! Information for employers (congregations or conferences) reducing employee (pastors or staff) hours or changing employee status.
- NEW! Expanded Guidelines for Eligible Medical Expenses for HSAs/HRAs/FSAs, Including Some Over-The-Counter Items.
Other Congregational Employer Plan Corinthian Plan Resources
- AmWell is a telemedicine service available to you through Congregational Plan Coverage. While we do not want AmWell to replace visits to your regular Provider this may be a helpful service while social distancing is a reality. Link to an informational flyer here. Also, see coverage information linked above.
Other General Resources
- Mennonite Church USA and Mennonite Church USA related agency resources pertaining to COVID-19 can be found at “Staying healthy and hopeful.”
The Corinthian Plan’s sharing/mutual aid components were built into the structure in 2010. This has ensured that pastors and church workers on the plan are not excluded for particular health reasons. Also, financial subsidies have been set up so that congregations who otherwise could not afford it can gain access to health coverage.
The Corinthian Plan is staffed by a team to help participants get the most out of their health coverage and oversee the Plan for MC USA. This includes three Area Advocates serving area conferences, a Wellness Coordinator and a Director.
Wellness Incentives. The Corinthian Plan strives to offer creative ways to support you in maintaining healthy habits and creating new ones. The Wellness Incentive is one way The Corinthian Plan does this. If you have health coverage, waived coverage, are the employee or the spouse you are eligible for the Incentive. Adult dependents, on the Plan, are eligible for one (60 minute) conversation with our wellbeing specialist ($100 value). More information is available on the Wellness Incentive webpage.
Wellbeing and Wellness. Why use one word or the other? We understand wellbeing to be that deep longing or knowing such as described in the music and words of the 1873 hymn written by Horatio Spafford, “It is well with my soul”. Despite, and even in the midst of life’s difficulties, wellbeing is the embodied peace that that comes through God. It is out of this deep center, the wellness we long for in body, mind and spirit flow. Pastors, go to the Wellness Incentive webpage (near bottom) for a link to fill out your Wellbeing Profile.
The Corinthian Plan continues to provide a needed service for Mennonite Church USA congregations. As of August 2018 there were 321 congregations participating in The Corinthian Plan with 215 churches carrying health coverage for 796 persons.
The Corinthian Plan is a self-funded, church plan, sponsored and owned by Mennonite Church USA (MC USA). Everence works with enrollment, policy and financial administrator. Highmark (Blue Cross Blue Shield) provides the service network, works with claims, and provides other health resources. The Plan is overseen directly by the Church Benefits Board (appointed by MC USA).