Session 1: The Gift of Difference
Time: Each session is designed to be 45-60 minutes.
Supplies: Notebook, pencil/pen, technology to watch the videos
The content below should be used for discussion prompts, observations and dialogue after viewing the videos.
Key learnings for this session:
- Celebrate the gift of difference.
- God’s design of humanity is like a mosaic pattern, each person being unique.
- We must be intentional about removing the mental barriers of who we think belongs and has superior rights to access resources. We have bias and exclusion about who belongs where and how they belong.
- We are not all the same, and God loves us all.
Observations to highlight:
- Who is welcome?
- Who is excluded?
- What determines acceptance?
Opportunities to present:
How can you…? How can your congregation…? How can your community…?
- Celebrate the gift of difference in others.
- Be inspired, courageous and more loving.
- Not minimize others.
- Appreciate diversity.
- Love and value the stranger the way you value yourself.
Based on Psalm 139:
I am mindful that you, sovereign God, are creator of all human beings.
For you created my inmost being.
You knit me together in my mother’s womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
Your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.
My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,
your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me were written in your book
before one of them came to be.
How precious to me are your thoughts, God!
How vast is the sum of them!
Help me, Lord, to be mindful of your work and goodness in me and others –
Fearfully and wonderfully made.
Warm Up (5 minutes)
Ask each participant to answer the following question:
What do you hope to learn or experience by participating in this curriculum?
Watch “The Gift of Difference” Video Sermonette by Rev. Michelle Armster. (16 minutes – Link)